Saturday 30 April 2016


Chemistry Lab

“Listen! I have seen you staring me many a times. Do you have any problem with me?” Siddhant asked me in college toilet.
It’s a college toilet which is at the extreme end of basement floor where hardly anyone goes. But who all goes for physics lab or at library goes there only.
“Are you gone sick?” I said with fake anger and trying to defend myself from all the allegations.
“Yes I have seen you many a times even my friends told me about this.” He said more firmly.
“Yes, do you have any problem?” I accepted all the charges because there was no escape. “This means that you also stare at me right?” I put a cross question.
“Yes” he said without hesitating.
“But why?”
“I feel you a right person for me and my life.” He said with all his valor and he was at his knee in the next moment “Will you marry me?” he proposed me. Place was not at all appropriate but he did.

I wanted to say yes but I was doubtful about his act. And to avoid that situation and to come out from that toilet I said “it’s not the right place and time to answer your question. And I cannot take any decision within a minute give me 15 days to think and answer you.”
“No, I cannot give you 15 days it’s too long” he said firmly but I can sense fear and persistence in his voice.
“Then how many days?”
 “Two days only. That is on Monday.” He said more persistently.
“Okay” I said and left from there.

Siddhant was my senior; he was in B. Sc. Third year. And I was in 1st year. Its mid-November, post Diwali period when very less students come to college. And who all come mostly they were at canteen or at library for time pass or writing their journals or just to meet each other. I and my friend Atul stay close to college but in opposite direction and so college was central location for us to meet and discuss things. And similar was Siddhant’s situation but he stays close to my house.
I was taking classes at home on Sunday evening and my cell rang. An unknown number but I picked up the call.

“Hello”
“Siddhant here, don’t get so busy in taking classes that you forget to answer my question tomorrow.” He said.
“How you know that I am taking classes?” I asked him curiously.
“Don’t think about that. Think about your decision.” He said. He sounds like he was trying to warn me.

Its 7 AM in morning and I was at chemistry lab and I saw him. There were two chemistry labs in college which were internally linked to each other. And we both have experiment in those labs on every Monday to Wednesday from 7 AM to 10:50 AM. For the first time I saw him in this lab only and from here I started noticing him whenever and wherever I can. But today because of fear I did not went into another lab which I always used to go there every time we come here for practical but today I was avoiding. Siddhant appeared suddenly in front of me and looked at me.

“How are you?” he asked
“I am good and you?” I replied in low voice with fear.
“Good.” He said “just came here to see you.” and he disappeared in another lab.

I wanted to run out of that lab but I was not able to do that. We finally met at college parking as decided. Quit a less people compared to other days. I don’t want to meet him but I met. I was scared that if a guy can take out my cell number and knows about my daily activity, can do anything and so I thought it’s better to meet him here and end up everything. I went close to him. He was happy and blushing like a kid who got lots of toys of his choice. He was in black half sleeve shirt and light brown color pant, very up to date.

“I am sorry to say I cannot accept your proposal.” I said without looking at him.
His blissful face turned down and tears rolled out from his eyes. He wanted to cry as loudly as he can but he controlled himself and asked me why?
“Because you was spying me.” I said “and a guy who started spying me when nothing is there what he will do in future. There are chances that you might ruin my life.”
“I did not infiltrate you and never I am going to do that.” He whine .
“Then how you got my number and how you know that I was taking class yesterday when you called me.”
“I got your number from your article which was published in college magazine it was really nice and I love your writing skills. And you were telling your friend that Sunday evening it is not possible for you to come out from home as you will be taking tuition classes. Then only I got to know about you. I really admire you that you have sense of responsibility towards your duty.” He said. “So did I plant you?”
“Oh! So you are following me so intensely!!” I said.
“Yes” he said “Will you marry me Mayank?” he put his proposal again in front of me.
“Yes! Yes!! Yes!!!” I said with full energy and he hugged me.

For a moment we forget that we are in college parking, and we liked to be in each other’s arm as long as we can. It was our first touch to each other. The feeling was so heavenly and incredible. We don’t want to leave each other. But still I shoved him and said “we are at college.”

“Oh yeah I am sorry”

 “It’s okay” I said and I was able to see his blissful face again. And the love happened. 

3 comments: